One for the Books: Reads for Creatives
(& non-creatives) Sharing a list of non-fiction reads for motivation and inspiration because I’m also in dire need of some rn. Most of which, I’ve read before and unearthed again recently. A lot of these are my actual faves that I skim through in the early mornings or late at night. I divided them into 3: the “yas I have an actual copy” books, ebooks, and dumping in bookmarked articles from the previous weeks as well.
- Show Your Work – sharing your work has always been a struggle for me (I still haven’t gotten over that doubt phase) and this helps in those doubting moments.
- Freehand – this is a copy I got from Ate Ella‘s destash sale recently. It contains hella lot of pretty artworks that I mostly stare at. I haven’t really finished reading on the terms about each artwork but so far everything’s pretty.
- Steal Like An Artist – another Austin Kleon goodie. His books aren’t in-depth, but they’re quick reads that’ll give you the boost you need!
- No Filter – this a collection of stories and monologues based on the same play by The Sandbox Collective. I can’t even explain how I love this so much because a lot of the stories are so relatable!! Coming of age stories always hit me hard.
- Le Dessin Facile – funny how this is a French book but the copy I have is in Chinese because I bought it in Taiwan last year. Of course I can’t understand anything text-wise but it’s mostly the graphics I refer to anyway. The title means “Easy Drawing.” It gives step by step prompts and tutorials for sketching, and the perspective and human anatomy module is something I refer to.
- Who Said I Had To – this is written by a close friend of mine, Fraffee of The World of Fraffee. I’M SO SO PROUD OF HER FOR WRITING THIS!! And I never knew I needed this ebook until I’ve read it. Pick it up if you need the inspiration (creative or not). The circumstances stated in the book especially on the first part were very similar to mine so reading it became highly personal and appreciated.
- #Girlboss – this had its fair share of haters, but come on, I’ve read it thrice and gotta admit that I like it. I have yet to watch the series.
- The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving A Fuck – I’m only halfway through this book and I’m a person who gives too many fucks. I only read this on the road so I’m not sure when I’ll finish it. Nothing magical for me but it keeps me company in traffic.
C. Bookmarked Articles
Sharing quick reads for on-the-go because it’s a habit of mine to Pocket (if you don’t use this app/browser extension, I highly recommend it!!) articles I see or scroll through the net for future reading. I whip the list out when I’m bored or need a break – or nagkukunwaring may ginagawa sa office.
- Overcoming Self Doubt as an Artist
- What’s Your Sentimental Idea of Success?
- Tidying Up
- Inside Sha’an d’Anthes of Furry Little Peach’s Sydney Studio
- Self-Care 101: A Checklist of How to Take Care of Yourself Right this Instant
- Lucid Dreaming
- Find Friction, Forget Logos, Fight Assholes, and 43 Other Ways You’ll Do the Best Creative Work of Your Life This Year
Hope you’ll get something worth reading from this list. Recommend me books and stories? (Also, happy Chinese new year!!)